Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Instructions for "Pear"adise background fill quilting

Some have asked for detailed instructions on how I did the "Pear"adise quilt.  Long arm Quilter who have the HandiQuilter ProStitcher now have the capability to do this.  The same thing can be accomplished using Art and Stitch Digitizing software to set up one block at a time.

For the pears: I opened the first design and then set up the first area using
multi point. I sized the design and rotated the design and placed it in the
area. I baselined the design then cleared the area, leaving the design in the
exact location it needed to be. I then opened the 2nd design, created the area
using multi point and sized and rotated the design to fit and then baselined
again. Did the same thing for the leaves. Then at the top of your screen there
is a select tool. I selected all, and moved the designs into the proper stitch
order and stitched.

For the background fills in the blocks. First thing I did was go into ANS and
save all the creative fills as HQF designs with stitches and put them on my
thumb drive. Then to my Pro Stitcher. I created my first area (1/4) of the
block then opened a design (one of the creative fills). I placed the design and
sized it over the area. Went to Design, Crop, push the "outside" and "closed"
buttons. Then baselined. Set up each area just like this, baselining after
cropping each area. I didn't close the designs as I progressed around the pear
I just opened another. This way I could see the scale of the design compared to
the other designs I was using and adjust and resize as needed. Since this was
my first quilt using these features it certainly isn't perfect in scale but the
possibilities are endless and I learned so much.

When the designs were all set up, I then went to select (top of screen),
selected and stitched out each design separately. One caution I would add is
that there is quite a bit of overstitching with some fills as you go around a
shape. I learned to rotate the designs better as I progressed so that the rows
of stitching worked with the shapes rather than fought against them. I also
learned that you can adjust the design after cropping, from side to side or top
to bottom on screen to position for less overstitching. Don't know how to
explain this better. It took a few blocks for this to gel in my brain. I just
might have to make sampler of my own now, that I can keep.

FYI: I used Glide thread on top and magna glide bobbins.

Hope this all makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment